19 February 2020
Could you be a Games Maker?
Wednesday 19 February marked 500 days to go till the Guernsey 2021 NatWest International Island Games. A campaign has been launched to recruit the volunteer team to support the event.
Whilst supported by a small professional team, the event is primarily organised by a diverse team of volunteers with a wide variety of specialist and general skills and experiences. We have roles that will suit just about every individual.
Some specific roles include:
• Welcome and departure roles
• Event co-ordination and management
• Catering management and staffing
• Information officer
• Marshalls, stewards and car parking supervisors
• Medal ceremonies
• A variety of medical roles from first responders and paramedics to physiotherapists and more specialist sports medical roles
• Management and staffing of merchandising outlets
• Videographers and photographers
• Press and social media content editors and co-ordinators
• Results technology services
• Venue management teams
• Announcers and commentators for events and streaming services
• Mini-bus drivers
• A Games Maker team to provide reception committees at events around the island during the course of the Games and generally make all visitors feel part of the wonderful Guernsey community.
What we are asking?
Above all else we are seeking individuals motivated to ensure the NatWest International Island Games are organised efficiently and that participants and all visitors feel welcomed and well supported while they are on the island. Volunteers will need to be available for a minimum of 4 x 6 hour shifts during the Games themselves and certain roles will have additional requirements.
All volunteers will be required to attend one of the 2 registration days (27th September OR 3rd October 2020) and also each of the 3 training days (30th January, 27th March and 15th May 2021). The latter will be a combination of specific role training such as First Response, security awareness, hospitality training and general planning and event updates.
What you will get out of it
So, what can you expect if you become a volunteer? A chance to be part of a high profile and significant sporting event here in Guernsey. The sense of pride that will go with being part of the organising team and the feedback for our island as whole. Those involved on the last occasion the Games were in Guernsey, 2003, continue to have excellent memories of the event and many participants cite these Games as an excellent example of all that is good jn the Games tradition.
As well as the chance to work with other like-minded people, many will learn new skills whether in some of the specialist roles that we have or the general skills of volunteering within or leading teams of individuals delivering high profile events.
The training will have lasting benefits, whether you decide to become a full time St John’s event volunteer, take the skills you learn through our hospitality training to assist in your career or the general benefits that volunteering has in developing your own character and resilience.
For our part, we will offer a kit that you will be delighted to wear with pride as part of the organising team and a certificate along with an invitation to a “thank you” event following the Games.
To register as a volunteer, please click here.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01481 720215